1st sushi that I've made today is kiwi salmon sashimi. The green kiwifruit slice needs to be thinner than fresh sashimi as I do not want it over-powering than the sashimi taste. Believe it or not, the crunch and the tangy fruity smell bring your taste to the next level incredibly.
The 2nd sushi that I'm making is Tamago Yaki Kiwi Sushi Omelette, in how to make the omelette, I refer to this recipe. This relatively the sweetest sushi among these 3 types of sushi that I've made.
The 3rd sushi that I am going to make is Sushi Kiwi Tobiko. Tobiko is the tiny, orange, pearl-like stuff you find on sushi rolls. It's actually flying fish roe, which technically makes it a caviar (albeit less expensive than its sturgeon cousin). Tobiko adds crunchy texture and salty taste to the dish, not to mention artistic flair. In its natural state, however, it is not very flavorful. Hence, I've added 3 kiwifruits on top of it.
For sushi rice,
- 2 cups Japanese rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Zespri Green Kiwifruit
- Nori seaweed sheet
- Japanese omelette
- Sahsimi slice
- Cook the Japanese rice in rice cooker.
- After rice cooked, in another pot, add the rice and water, quickly bring it to the boil and then simmer, covered, cooking for 10 minutes until water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Be careful not to burn the rice
- Meanwhile, combine the salt, vinegar and sugar in a small bowl
- Remove from the heat, leaving the rice to rest, covered for another 10 minutes
- Add the rice to a wooden bowl, mix to help it cool down. When cool, gently add the vinegar mixture and mix to combine.
- Use the rice at room temperature.
- On top of the bamboo rolling mat, place a seaweed sheet (you may cut these into halves, however it will require less filling)
- Wet your hands, and scope small section of the rice in your palm (around a 1/4 of a cup); and shape into an oblong
- Place the rice onto the seaweed sheet, gently spread the rice evenly to each side; ensuring leave an inch gap on the side you are rolling towards, add fillings as you wish.
- Folding the bamboo mat (on the side closest to you); gently roll as tight as possible (if your seaweed is not sticking, dab the uncovered end with water).
- Decorate with green kiwifruit slice.