The friand pastry, which has become popular in Australia appears to have been based on the French financier; however, Australian's friands typically have additional flavorings such as coconut, chocolate, fruit, and nuts. Australian friands are baked in oval shapes. For this coming valentine's day, I've baked these French Financier cake into heart-shaped.
- Melt the butter and let it cool down a bit.
- Mix the flour, the sugar and the ground almonds together in a bowl.
- Dig a "shaft" and add the egg whites, mix, then add the melted butter.
- Mix vigorously.
- Butter the heart-shaped baking tins, and evenly pour the pastry in them.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 25 minutes.
- Let it cool for 3 minutes and take them out from tins.
- Financier Cakes are ready.